Subject: Condition surveys

Condition surveys

From: Charlotte Rennie <mckaylodge>
Date: Wednesday, March 8, 1995
I would be interested to hear from any conservators and museum
professionals who have had experience in conducting collection condition
surveys using computers.  I've listed a few specific questions which I
would like answered if possible.  It is hoped that an article on the
subject can be written to provide conservators in the UK with
information on what is being done here in the United States.

    *   If you have conducted condition surveys using condition
        databases within collection management software and/or
        stand-alone database applications, what software have you used
        and prefer?

    *   What advantages/disadvantages did the programs have (slow
        operation, difficult to design, etc)?

    *   What type of computer system have you used (PC, Mac)?

    *   How have you carried out the surveys and why (hand-filled forms,
        direct input into computer, voice activated applications)?

    *   What types of objects were you surveying?

    *   How extensive were the collections you worked with?

    **** Moderator's comments:   When it appears, volume II of Advances
    in Preservation and Access will have several articles on the subject
    of surveys and needs assessment.

Charlotte Rennie

                 Distributed: Wednesday, March 8, 1995