Subject: Erasers

Erasers

From: Joan Hostetler <jeh7175>
Date: Wednesday, March 8, 1995
I am seeking conservation literature about powdered erasers, eraser
pads, and solid erasers and their use in dry cleaning photographs.
Is anyone aware of an article that compares specific brands and
discusses sulphur, plasticizer, and erasing fluid content?

I'm specifically interested in opinions on Skum-X Powder (which,
I'm told, tarnishes heavily but leaves the least amount of
particles) and the Alvin & Co. Large Professional Dry Cleaning Pad.

    **** Moderator's comments:   There are probably more recent sources,
    but one place to start is:
    Pearlstein, E. J., Cabelli, D; King, A., and Indictor, N. Effects of
    Eraser Treatment on Paper Journal of the American Institute for
    Conservation, Vol.  22, No. 1, Fall 1982, pp. 1-12

Joan Hostetler
815 N. Highland Ave.
Indianapolis, IN 46202

                 Distributed: Wednesday, March 8, 1995