Subject: White-out

White-out

From: John Shepard <0005251720>
Date: Wednesday, March 8, 1995
In our department of Special Collections, we have a number of archival
collections which contain typewritten documents from the era before word
processors and typewriters with correction ribbons.  Many of these
documents contain corrections which were made with the aid of correction
fluid (Liquid Paper TM is perhaps the most widely known variety of
correction fluid).  Are any of the readers here aware of any testing
which may have been done to determine the longevity of dried correction
fluid and the effects that correction fluid, either wet or dry, may have
on the paper on which it is used?  Our concern is both for the
preservation of the paper and for the preservation of the information
found in the corrections.  In other words, does the dried solution (or
is it a suspension?) flake off with time, revealing the typographical
errors beneath?

    **** Moderator's comments:   A lengthy discussion on this subject
    can be found in the Museum-L archives. Also check Conservation
    OnLine as the subject has been discussed before.

John Shepard
Head, Rare Books & Manuscripts / Music Division
The New York Public Library for the Performing Arts

                 Distributed: Wednesday, March 8, 1995