Subject: POST-IT notes

POST-IT notes

From: Claudia Stall <cstall>
Date: Tuesday, March 7, 1995
I just talked with a faculty member that insisted that Post-it notes do
not harm the pages of books.  He returned one book and admits that he
has several others that are filled with post it notes.  They are art
books. He would like to see some documentation on the subject even
though he has promised not to use them in future.  I have tried to find
documentation about the adhesive remaining on the pages when the notes
are removed.  I have not found anything yet.  Can someone help?

By the way, it is our policy to send a damage bill to patrons who return
books with Post it notes in them.  It would be nice to give them some
background about the problem when they get upset about having to pay for
a damaged book.  Usually I just show the examples of pages where the
printing is removed along with a bite of paper when a Post it note was
left on a page.  That is usually sufficient.

Claudia Stall, Head
Collection Preservation/Mendery
San Diego State University Library

                 Distributed: Wednesday, March 8, 1995