Subject: Lighting and oil paintings

Lighting and oil paintings

From: Roxanna Herrick <roxanna>
Date: Tuesday, March 7, 1995
Question for art conservators.  We have recently acquired a valuable
painting of a donor which has been hung on a brick wall where direct
sunlight falls all afternoon.  Short of moving the painting to a more
congenial location, what kind of protection can we give to this work of
art.  UV screening over the canvas?  UV film over the window?   Can we
do anything to keep the pigment from fading?  Would we have to install
blinds on the window (which is whole wall of windows)? Any advice on
this issue would be most welcome. Thanks in advance,

Roxanna Herrick

                 Distributed: Wednesday, March 8, 1995