Subject: Mass deacidification

Mass deacidification

From: Erich Kesse <erikess>
Date: Tuesday, February 28, 1995
The following appeared on arl-directors and is reproduced here without
the knowledge or consent of the author.

    Date: 15 Feb 95
    From: "Winston Tabb" <wtab [at] loc__gov>
    To: Multiple recipients of list <arl-directors [at] cni__org>
    Subject: deacidification progress

    I am pleased to report that chairs of our appropriations
    subcommittees in both the House and Senate have approved our request
    to obligate $1.8 million for a new two-year action plan for
    continuation of the Library's mass deacidification program.  Most of
    this money will be used to further process enhancements and increase
    the scale of our use of the Bookkeeper technology; in this part of
    the action plan we will deacidify c. 36,000 volumes per year for two
    years.  Many of these will be actual LC books intended for the
    permanent collections.  The remainder of the funds will be used to
    provide evaluation and development assistance for any vendors
    offering competing approaches.  We are also pleased that a domestic
    vendor has approached the Library for extensive information about
    the DEZ process, with a view toward determining its economic
    viability now that we have perfected the process.

    Winston Tabb
    Associate Librarian for Collections Services
    Library of Congress, LM 642 (COLL/O)
    Washington, DC 20540-4000
    eMAIL - wtab [at] seq1__loc__gov
    202-707-2051