Subject: Diazo microfilm

Diazo microfilm

From: Dean DeBolt <ddebolt>
Date: Saturday, February 25, 1995
I've stumbled on the information that the Serials Division of our
Library some years ago switched to purchasing periodicals on DIAZO
microfilm because the order books showed it was cheaper.   Thus many of
our "permanent" files such as the Wall Street Journal, New York Times,
etc. may be on these films.

It is my understanding that Diazo has a limited shelf life, that it
somehow self-destructs (?), and is not considered archival.   I plan to
try to convince our Serials and Administration to return to silver
positive....but can anyone provide me with additional information?
Perhaps a citation to a journal article on this issue that I can share
with other staff.   It may be also that I'm wrong on this issue--and I'd
like to know that, too.  (grin) Thanks,

Dean DeBolt, University Librarian
Special Collections and West Florida Archives
University of West Florida
Pensacola, FL  32514-5750
904-474-2213
Fax: 904-474-3128

                Distributed: Saturday, February 25, 1995