Subject: Mold

Mold

From: Peggy Bordley <pbordley>
Date: Friday, February 24, 1995
I have 4 lithographs which have been in frames, sealed only with brown
paper and with clear glass, for approximately 30 years.  They have
gotten mildewed.  When they were first obtained, they had some mildew on
them and it was somehow removed, but I do not know the method used.
Does anyone know how these can be cleaned?  Can they be restored?  And
once restored, how should they be framed?

I also have a piece of embroidery which is done with silk thread on a
satin type file (fabric not metal) and it also has yellow spots of
mildew.  It is on a clergy stole and backed with satin, which has not
mildewed.  I guess its age at about 25 years.  Is there any way to
remove the mildew without damaging the silk thread?

Peggy Bordley
Jessie Ball DuPont Library
The University of the South
Sewanee, TN  37383-1000

                Distributed: Saturday, February 25, 1995