Subject: Innopac binding module

Innopac binding module

From: Mary Ellen Cunningham-Kruppa <e.cunnk>
Date: Thursday, February 23, 1995
The General Libraries at the University of Texas at Austin uses INNOPAC
for acquisitions and serials control.  A task force, of which I am a
member, has been formed to review the features of the INNOPAC Binding
Module and determine if it might be used to help manage periodical
binding functions. We presently use no automated system for preparing
periodicals (or monographs) for binding.  Binding slips are prepared
manually in the sending units, and binding pattern records are
maintained in a card file. Needless to say, this system could use
innovation, but we are not certain that INNOPAC can provide the desired
changes.

I would like to know if there are others who have investigated using or
are presently using INNOPAC for periodical binding functions.  If so, I
would be so appreciative if you would please contact me via e-mail or
telephone. Questions  I would like to discuss include the following:

    *   Has your institution found it beneficial to use the binding
        module?  Why or why not?

    *   Are there parts of your periodical collection that are excluded
        from INNOPAC and, if so, do you have a dual system for preparing
        periodicals for binding as a consequence?

    *   Is the binding slip that INNOPAC provides usable by your binder?
        If not, were you able to change the format of the slip to suit
        your binder's needs?

Ellen Cunningham-Kruppa
Preservation Officer
e.cunnk [at] mail__utexas__edu

                Distributed: Thursday, February 23, 1995