Subject: Food and drink in the library

Food and drink in the library

From: Karen Warton <kwarton>
Date: Tuesday, February 21, 1995
We are not allowed to have ingestibles in our work areas; two break
areas are the only places food and drink can be consumed.  I prefer to
have some caffeine on my desk, but much of our collection is
irreplaceable, so I understand the policy.  It's enforced by simple
jealousy--a person not allowed to eat or drink at their workstation
isn't going to let anyone else get away with it, either.  But by and
large it is cheerfully complied with; once you get used to the idea, you
realize it's a good precaution. So far I've only had one spill, but if
it *had* been at my desk, it would have been disastrous.

Karen Warton
DeGolyer Library
Southern Methodist University, Dallas

                Distributed: Thursday, February 23, 1995