Subject: Food and drink in the library

Food and drink in the library

From: Shelly Yocum <yocum>
Date: Friday, February 17, 1995
In March, 1992, our library tested a relaxed food and drink policy.  We
didn't have enough staff to uniformly enforce a no food and drink
policy, nor did we have sufficient evidence of destruction of library
materials caused by food and drink in the library.

During the spring semester test period, library users were not
prohibited from having sodas and snacks, unless these items were near
the computers or terminals.  During June, 1992, we solicited comments
from public service librarians and custodians.  In no case was a
negative impact of the relaxed policy noted.

To date, this relaxed policy is still in effect.  We continue to monitor
the food and drink activity in the library, but we have not had to
modify the policy at all.

Shelly Yocum
Administrative Assistant
Bertrand Library