Subject: Food and drink in the library

Food and drink in the library

From: Wendy Jones <wajones>
Date: Friday, February 17, 1995
This is in response to Christopher Anglim's query about covered beverage
containers.  The University of California, Davis has just dealt with
this issue and I wanted to share our experiences.  While the Library had
a no food, no drink policy, it was decided several years ago to allow
covered drink containers in the library.  This led to a proliferation of
containers and water bottles in general use.  Food naturally followed.
There was a rapid decline in cleanliness in the library.  Trash
proliferated in the stacks and study table; spills marked the floors and
vermin and insects were seen more frequently.  The carelessness seemed
to spread to the books and facilities.  After observing pizza being
delivered up the main staircase, the administration realized that
something needed to be done.  A major campaign ensued.  Articles in the
paper, signage, and a newly developed security patrol (just radios and
polite requests) quickly re-educated the campus as to the no food, no
drink policy.  My personal feeling is that allowing patrons to drink in
the library opens the floodgates to abuse of the collections.

                 Distributed: Sunday, February 19, 1995