Subject: Permanence standards for electronic media

Permanence standards for electronic media

From: Caroline Gilderson-Duwe <c5d>
Date: Monday, January 30, 1995
From a permanence point of view, the most reliable formats are paper and
microfilm that meet permanence standards.  However, with the increase in
technology, libraries and archives are faced with having to store
electronic media such as computer tapes, sound recordings, videos and
floppy disks "forever".

As far as I know, there are no permanence standards for these materials
yet.  Is this true?  Secondly, I would appreciate citations for any good
articles on the care and handling of electronic media.

Caroline Gilderson-Duwe
Preservation Dept.
Golda Meir Library
University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee