Subject: Photographic techniques in conservation

Photographic techniques in conservation

From: Mikkel Scharff <kulims>
Date: Monday, January 30, 1995
Call for ideas (special/analytical photographic techniques)

In collaboration with lecturer in photographic preservation, Mogens
S.Koch, I am preparing for this years course in special/analytical
photographic techniques for our advanced students in conservation. This
year we will have students specializing in paintings, graphics materials
and objects attending the course.

In previous courses we have focused on the well-known techniques, used
in conjunction with paintings (and to some extent with graphics
materials) conservation. Techniques included are ordinary light sources:
a) used symmetrically at 45 degree angle to the surface of the object,
b) used at a 25 degree angle from only one side, c) parallel to the
surface, d) transmitted light. We also include Ultraviolet fluorescence
photography and reflected Infrared photography as well as Vidicon
systems. We use black/white and/or color film as appropriate. The use of
X-ray techniques and electronic image manipulation are covered in other
courses.

We would like to expand our course with (for us) new examples of the use
of these (and perhaps other) techniques, and for that reason we would
like to hear about photographic techniques used in the area of graphic
materials/objects conservation. For example, we are looking for cases of
successful application of Infrared or Ultraviolet techniques to:
paper-supported objects, leather bookbindings, gilded leather, textiles,
bone or similar organic materials, botanical specimens/wood,
ethnographic objects in general, ceramics or metal objects?

Mikkel Scharff
The Royal Danish Academy of Fine Arts
School of Conservation

                Distributed: Thursday, February 2, 1995