Subject: Salvaging water damaged periodicals

Salvaging water damaged periodicals

From: Sue Dunlap <sdunlap>
Date: Monday, January 30, 1995
Our library has recently experienced a major leak over some science
periodicals.  We dried most of them through the interleaving method and
by standing them open in front of fans.  Several of the books became
very warped through this, and I'm wondering what others have done with
books like this.  The paper and text is still readable.   Also, I was
able to use a small freeze dryer at our Agricultural Research Center
here in Wooster to dry one of the books that was saturated.  (We have
eleven tubs of books in a large walk-in freezer at 0 to -5 degrees F.)
The book we dried is not warped, however it seems more brittle and does
not open very well.  I'm wondering if freeze drying normally dries books
out too much. Your suggestions would be appreciated.

Sue Dunlap
Preservation/Preparation Manager
Andrews Library
College of Wooster