Subject: Conservation training opportunities

Conservation training opportunities

From: William Barrow <r1647>
Date: Tuesday, January 31, 1995
The recent posting about restoration training in Florence anticipated my
question about where one would seek such programs in the U.S.?  I am
interested in knowing how one goes about breaking into the field of
preservation and restoration, particularly involving paper and textiles.
I know that the West Dean College, for example, often requires students
for their programs to have a background in the craft in question (eg,
they want cabinet-making experience to enter their furniture program),
and I believe that most LIS schools have one or two general preservation
courses, at best.  So where do the manuscript conservators come from?
OTJ training?  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.

    **** Moderator's comments: There *should* be information about
    training opportunities in conservation, preservation administration,
    etc., in Conservation OnLine, but there's precious little. I know
    that there exist a number of documents on the subject prepared by
    several organizations and over the years I've run across everything
    from casual lists to formal reports. If those of you with access to
    such documents would arrange with the copyright owners (authors,
    organizations, etc.) to get the texts of those documents to me in
    machine-readable form, with a statement granting permission to mount
    them in CoOL, you would be doing the conservation community a great
    service.  Those of you connected with training programs are
    especially encouraged to send--in machine readable form--current
    information about your programs, (the more detailed the better)

William Barrow

                Distributed: Thursday, February 2, 1995