Subject: Rubber cement

Rubber cement

From: Harold E. Scott <hesmes>
Date: Saturday, January 28, 1995
My wife and I are volunteers in the Archives of Pittsburgh Theological
Seminary where she was Cataloger and Archivist before retiring.  I have
been asked to organize the photograph collection.  In a few cases a
photograph that must be preserved has been attached with rubber cement
to a backing.  It has been removed with TLC, but the cement, usually
dried, remains on the photo.  Is there any way of removing the cement
without damaging the photograph?  One Archives E-Mail respondent
suggested that the best way is to have a copy negative made.  Any wisdom
will be appreciated.

Harold E. Scott
Volunteer in Archives
Barbour Library