Subject: Thawing frozen books

Thawing frozen books

From: Artemis BonaDea <artemisb>
Date: Tuesday, January 24, 1995
One of the libraries in town has recently recovered damaged books that
were saturated with melted snow.  The books have been placed in a home
freezer and are described as "rock solid frozen".  There are less than
10 books and the library staff would like to thaw them and attempt to
salvage them.  I have not dealt with thawing frozen books and I would
appreciate any hints on special care needed as the volumes are thawed.
Also, the staff asked if a microwave could be utilized to safely thaw
frozen books.  I have heard rumors of microwaves being used but have not
seen any published information. I appreciate any assistance.

Artemis BonaDea
Conservation Technician
Alaska State Library
Box 110571