Subject: Vacuum cleaners for mold

Vacuum cleaners for mold

From: Annie Armour <aarmour>
Date: Wednesday, January 25, 1995
James E. Costopoulos Jr. <jacostopoulo [at] vaxsar__vassar__edu> writes

>We would like to buy a vacuum
>cleaner that can safely remove mold from books.

I am very happy using a Euroclean HEPA vacuum for cleaning mold.  The
one we have came from Lab Safety Supply (YB-14391).  It has a 30' cord,
6' hose, floor tool, wand, brush/nozzle and crevice tool (I like using a
round brush nozzle for cleaning). It has a 2 1/2 gallon bag capacity.
You cannot carry this one on your back, but we always remove books from
the shelves to clean mold in a safe area. Current cost for the machine
is $545.70.  A replacement filter is $80 and replacement bags (10 count)
are about $20. Pre-filter replacements are $22. A portable HEPA vacuum
is featured in the same section of the catalog if you're interested.

I do not like wet-dry vacs, mostly because they are noisy, bulky, and
the hoses are cumbersome and hard to manipulate.

Annie Armour
duPont Library
University of the South
Sewanee, TN 37383