Subject: Joint tacketing

Joint tacketing

From: Gregor Campbell <71514.3705>
Date: Tuesday, January 10, 1995
Nancy Edstrom <edstrom [at] alexia__lis__uiuc__edu> writes

>A paper in the 1991 Book and Paper Group Annual describes a procedure
>called joint tacketing.  I would like to know if anyone has tried this
>and what their experience has been.

I have not yet tried the "joint tacketing" procedure myself but it
looks like a very good idea. I believe it was pioneered by Chris
Clarkson, promoted by Randy Silverman and Don Etherington and is now in
use at the University of Texas conservation labs. The little drilling
machine required is available in several models from local hobby shops,
hardware stores, etc. I have always wanted one of these gadgets but have
not yet broken down for the purchase. As to Bernard Middleton's book, it
is the best and most current book I know of on restoration of leather
bindings. Middleton is a recognized "master" at his craft. If you can
get to be half as good you would be head and shoulders above nearly every
other living bookbinder. There are many other books about binding and
restoration available, new and used, from various sources. Please feel
free to telephone me toll free (800-942-6224) if you would like more
info. or a short chat. Best regards,

Gregor Campbell

                Distributed: Thursday, January 12, 1995