Subject: LC report on Bookkeeper process

LC report on Bookkeeper process

From: Lee H. Leiner <73173.1420>
Date: Friday, January 6, 1995
The Library of Congress has publicly issued the report of its Technical
Evaluation Team on the Bookkeeper mass deacidification process.  The
first paragraph of the Summary reads:

   "The Technical Evaluation Team established by the Library of Congress
    has evaluated the Bookkeeper deacidification process and unanimously
    concludes that it demonstrates the potential to meet the
    requirements for mass deacidification as defined in the RFP issued
    in 1993 by the Library of Congress (Library).  The Team also
    recommends that Preservation Technologies, Inc., (PTI) of Glenshaw,
    PA be supported for further research and development by the
    Library."

This is a 73 page report plus Appendices, and is now available from the
Library. Every question you ever wanted to ask about our process is
answered, including a positive report from the Environmental Protection
Agency.

It is important to note that this work was begun in August, 1993, and
many improvements have been made since that time.  Some of these
improvements are included in Appendix E of the report, and we have also
upgraded the process since the report was written in September, 1994.
Our intent is to maximize the efficiency of the Bookkeeper process to
provide libraries with the most cost effective way of protecting their
books and papers.  We are very close to that now.

One of the facts of life that we have had to face over the past several
years is that "mass" deacidification has developed a questionable
reputation because of failures, false claims and false promises.  We
want everyone to feel comfortable with the Bookkeeper process, and will
be happy to answer any questions.  Just give us a call at
1-800-416-BOOK.

                  Distributed: Monday, January 9, 1995