Subject: Flattening maps

Flattening maps

From: Michael Mccolgin <mimccol>
Date: Friday, December 30, 1994
Our department's maps librarian (different division, different boss,
different territory, etc.) came up yesterday for some advice and help on
getting the maps in some sort of order.  He figures he has about 5,000
historically significant maps in a variety of sizes that have been used
and abused for decades.  Most of them are rolled, folded, rolled and
folded, and he found one that had been rolled and inserted into the core
of a roll of paper towels.  Do any of you have any experience in
humidifying and flattening large quantities of oversize materials?  I'd
much prefer not working on this project for the next 10 years. Thanks
for you help or condolences.

Michael McColgin, Preservation Officer
Arizona State Archives
1700 West Washington