Subject: Administrivia

Administrivia

From: Walter Henry <whenry>
Date: Tuesday, December 27, 1994
A plea from your fatigued moderator. Please try to report phone numbers
in a reasonably standard format (remember, everything in the DistList
ends up in a database and has a life beyond the immediate reading).
Please report numbers as they would be dialed by an international
caller, and do *not* include any leading zeroes used for in
within-country dialing. Please *do* include a country code e.g.

How to do it:

    +31 71 21 42 24

         +  Whatever it takes to get an International line (i.e. use a
            plus sign, not your specific International-access codes
        31  Country code (in this case, the Netherlands
        71  "Area code" (in this case Leiden, Leiderdorp, Oegstgeest,
            and Voorschoten
        21 42 24 subscribers number

How not to do it (with apologies to the authors from whom I've taken
these. It's not meant as a criticism of them; these are just the latest
of a long string of badly formatted numbers that have caused me needless
work.)

    0633 51/68 69

or worse

    0 75 65/10 11 + 16 04

        (An aside, to anyone that might understand German phone numbers: I
        can't make head nor tail of the preceding number, which doesn't
        adhere to any familiar system of telephone numbers. My best
        guess would be that the above refers to a pair of numbers: +49
        3741 65 10 11 and +49 3741 65 16 04, but that is pretty much
        just a guess (49 is the country code for unified Germany and
        3741 is the new code for what used to be country code 37, area
        code 75 (which is Plauen (Vogtland); I have no idea whether
        Aichstetten is in Vogtland or not).

                Distributed: Tuesday, December 27, 1994