Subject: Animation cells

Animation cells

From: Sue Kellerman <lsk>
Date: Thursday, December 22, 1994
I am posting a query for a colleague, Lee Stout, Penn State University
Archivist.

    We have two original celluloid paintings ("cells" I believe they are
    sometimes called) from Disney's *Fantasia*.  These represent
    characters and were cut out in outline and apparently glued to a
    painted surface.  Originally, the characters were outlined in ink
    and then painted on the back surface of the clear celluloid.
    Unfortunately, the celluloid is beginning to pucker, pull away from
    the painted surface (probably as the adhesive has dried out and
    given way), and some of the paint is beginning to peel away from the
    celluloid.  In other words we are now in some places have a opening
    "sandwich" of painted surface, peeling paint, and puckering
    celluloid.  Is restoration possible and what steps should we take to
    safeguard this material before we take it to a conservator?

Sue Kellerman

                 Distributed: Friday, December 23, 1994