Subject: Preservation and Conspectus

Preservation and Conspectus

From: Jan Lyall <j.lyall>
Date: Monday, December 19, 1994
I have been asked to develop codes for level of preservation activity
related to conspectus collecting levels.  I am aware that preservation
levels have been proposed where a level is equated to a percentage of
the collection which requires preservation.  I have difficulty in seeing
how this would work in practice since conspectus is subject based and a
collection of material in a particular subject area is likely to consist
of a variety of formats such as monographs, serials, newspapers, maps,
photographs, etc.  The preservation needs of these different format
materials is likely to be very different.

I am very interested to hear from anyone who has experience in
developing a coding system which produces preservation information at
the collection level which is useful for developing cooperative
programs. Thanks,

Jan Lyall
National Preservation Office
National Library of Australia