Subject: Crimping machines

Crimping machines

From: Eric Alstrom <alstrom>
Date: Friday, December 16, 1994
First, I would like to thank all who answered my previous query
regarding board shears.  We have found the shear of our dreams and are
in the process of purchasing them (a 40" reconditioned Jacques).

Second: Now that we have to make room for these new shears, we are
looking at our limited space and wondering what we can get rid of. We
have a crimping machine (phase box maker) taking up a lot of space and it
is currently only used as a table.  In the past our lab has tried to use
it for making phase boxes but with little success--students and
technicians did not like to use it and often it did not make a clean
fold.  Also, since we are not longer using traditional style of phase
box, we have even less impetus to retain this bulky machine.

What I would like to ask the binders and conservators is what are you
using crimping machines for (especially for uses other than phase box
making) and what success do you have with it?  And would anyone be
interested in buying a crimping machine?  ;-) Thanks in advance for any
advice and suggestions!

Eric C. Alstrom
Collections Conservator
Alden Library, Ohio University