Subject: Copyright and preservation

Copyright and preservation

From: Sam Demas <sgd1>
Date: Thursday, December 15, 1994
The A.R. Mann Library of Cornell University is conducting research to
find the best methods for determining the copyright status of 1920-1950
imprints which are targeted for preservation and enhanced access
employing digital technology. Based on comparison of the results of
intensive copyright searching both at the Library of Congress and using
the published _Catalog of Copyright Entries_, we are devising a
"reasonableness standard" for libraries to use in their efforts to
proceed safely, efficiently, and responsibly with the task of preserving
materials which may be protected by copyright.

We have been unable to locate data or a substantive body of experience
from other such efforts. Bob Oakley has been very helpful in this
analysis and we are following the leads in his CPA publication
_Copyright and Preservation: A Serious Problem in Need of a Thoughtful
Solution_.  In preparation for publishing our results, we would
appreciate hearing directly from others who have conducted work in this
area, or hearing about any related work on the copyright issue in
relation to preservation.

Sam Demas
Head, Collection Development & Preservation
Albert R. Mann Library
Cornell University
Ithaca, N.Y. 14853
607-255-6919