Subject: Oversized image scanning project

Oversized image scanning project

From: Janet Gertz <gertz>
Date: Wednesday, December 14, 1994
Oversized Color Image Digitization Project Report Available

Columbia University Libraries is currently conducting an investigation
into the scanning of oversized color maps. The project is funded by a
contract from the Commission on Preservation and Access.  We are
scanning five oversized color maps using a variety of methodologies, and
comparing the results to determine which can provide successful access
both online and through paper printouts.

The report of the work in progress, which is available via the Columbia
University World Wide Web server, includes a narrative description of
the project as well as the complete set of digital images created to
date.  The URL is:

    http://www.columbia.edu/imaging/html/largemaps/oversized.html

We would appreciate hearing from anyone who has comments on the project.
We are particularly interested in evaluations of the different images.
Which do you prefer?  Do you consider any to be unacceptable for
identification purposes? For research purposes?  What suggestions do you
have for improvements, changes in the methodology, et cetera? Comments
and questions can be sent via email to:

    Janet Gertz
    Director for
    Preservation
    gertz [at] columbia__edu

    Susan Klimley
    Geological Sciences
    Librarian
    klimley [at] columbia__edu

               Distributed: Wednesday, December 14, 1994