Subject: Material Safety Data Sheets

Material Safety Data Sheets

From: Walter Henry <whenry>
Date: Thursday, December 8, 1994
One of the most common questions I am asked about the net is "can we get
material safety data sheets (MSDS)?" Until recently, the answer was, for
most people, no.  For a short time there were a number of sites that
provided gopher or wais access to MSDSs but these dried up virtually
overnight and they began limiting access to students, faculty and staff
at the providing institution, presumably the because of copyright and
licensing issues.

Fortunately, the University of Utah has addressed the problem:

  The University of Utah Chemistry Department is currently developing an
  archive of unlicensed/unrestricted publicly distributable Material
  Safety Data Sheets (MSDS) in ASCII text file format.

You can get to the MSDS via CoOL, in both the Gopher and WWW facets.
(Use a Web client such as Mosaic to connect to URL
http://palimpsest.stanford.edu/
(the trailing slash is necessary) (there is a link to the MSDSs on the
welcome page). If you prefer to use Gopher, Gopher to
palimpsest.stanford.edu and choose

  Browse by subject
    Health and safety

walter