Subject: Preservation awareness

Preservation awareness

From: Julie A. Page <julie_page>
Date: Wednesday, November 30, 1994
of preservation issues among staff and users I suggest he look at the
ARL publication "Staff Training and User Awareness in Preservation
Management" by Wesley Boomgaarden (ARL, 1993), one of the Preservation
Planning Program resource guides.  It is the most up-to-date compilation
of training-related issues including examples of training practices and
policies as well as a bibliography.

For a practical "how we done it" type article, see my article, co-written
with George Soete, "Preservation Orientation for Library Staff" C&RL
News, vol.55, no.6, June 1994, p. 358-360.  Keep in mind that it is
important to conduct a staff education program *before* tackling user
education.  The staff will set the example and respond positively to
users if they are included from the start and convinced of the
importance of preservation and their role in the library's preservation
program. Get the support of your administration and their active
involvement if possible.

Julie A. Page
Preservation Librarian
University of California, San Diego