Subject: Albumen prints

Albumen prints

From: Robert Sayre Cox <robtcox>
Date: Tuesday, November 29, 1994
We've recently gotten in a half dozen or so very nice photo albums from
1870-1890 or thereabouts which have some fine albumen prints (ranging in
size from ca.3x5" up to close to 8x10") tipped in.  Fine.  The problem
comes in the fact that these are tipped in with little dabs of glue that
have, in many cases dried, broken or otherwise come loose, leaving the
print none too secure in its housing.  A few prints have been damaged
(before reaching us, thankfully) by being folded up.

My question: what do other institutions do with such cases.  I hesitate
to remove the prints from context and, at the same time, am squeamish
about either leaving them as is or re-adhering them.  Help much
appreciated, replies (if this is too repetitive or basic) to me...

Rob Cox
Curator, Clements Library
University of Michigan

                Distributed: Thursday, December 1, 1994