Subject: Oversized books

Oversized books

From: Gregor Trinkaus-Randall <gtrinkaus>
Date: Wednesday, November 23, 1994
Terry Latour <terry_latour [at] bull__cc__usm__edu> writes

>They would like to know how other libraries
>define oversize books which are a part of their circulating collection?

When I was at the Peabody Museum of Salem (now the Peabody and Essex
Museum) we divided our collection into those 30 cm and below, 30-45 cm,
and over 45 cm.  We designated the middle group with a single + in the
call number and the latter group with ++.  The last group was shelved
horizontally.  Not only did this shelve like volumes together in size
that helped protect them, but it also saved us space.

Gregor Trinkaus-Randall

                Distributed: Tuesday, November 29, 1994