Subject: Removing stamping on spine labels

Removing stamping on spine labels

From: Scott Petersen <scpeters>
Date: Friday, November 18, 1994
I work in a bindery/preservation lab and am currently using Acetone and
Q-tips to remove gold stamping information on commercially bound books
and periodicals.  The Acetone is effective in removing the gold, silver,
and black labels, but it also discolors and dissolves much of the
surrounding spine cloth. Our bindery uses the conventional Library
Buckrum as a case for books and periodicals.  Does anyone know of a
different, less damaging, way to remove spine labels stamped in gold,
silver and black?

Scott Petersen

                 Distributed: Sunday, November 20, 1994