Subject: Board shears

Board shears

From: Jeanne Eichelberger <jeichelb>
Date: Thursday, November 10, 1994
Eric Alstrom <alstrom [at] ouvaxa__cats__ohiou__edu> writes:

>I am looking for information regarding the type of boardshears list
>participants use and any comments you might have on this matter.  Alden
>Library's Preservation Department is in the process of purchasing a new
>shear and are examining the options available to us.

We have a Jacques shear, which we purchased several years ago from John
Jacobson at

    American Graphic Arts, Inc.
    150 Broadway
    Elizabeth, NJ 07206
    201-351-6906

It has a 40" blade, weighs 950 lb., and occupies an area about 57" x
79".  This is allowing for the board guide to be extended about a foot
and a half on one side, plus about 2 feet for the counterweight and
almost a foot for the handle of the counterweight in the other
direction. Presumably you'd want maybe another foot on the handle side
for the operator. It's a reconditioned shear--I don't know what
vintage--really solid, cost a little over $3,000 and is great.  Jacobson
had some smaller ones as well at the time, including one with a 30.5"
blade.  Jacques was recommended to us as being the best type of shear,
and John Jacobson was recommended as the best source for a good
reconditioned one at a reasonable price.  I have no experience with any
other types of shear.

Jeanne Eichelberger
Special Collections and Preservation
Binghamton University Libraries