Subject: Water purification

Water purification

From: Jim Druzik <jdruzik>
Date: Thursday, November 10, 1994
Cindy Martin <vrclm [at] ttacs__ttu__edu> writes:

>We originally asked for both
>distilled and de-ionized water for the lab, but have recently been
>getting some flak from the architects about the cost.  I now find myself
>in the position of arguing for and justifying either or both of the
>different types of water.

The scientific laboratories at the Getty Conservation Institute uses
deionized water for all applications, except for the Analytical
Chemistry Section.  When they need purer grades of water, it's purchased
as HPLC Grade, by the case in bottles at a reasonable cost. It is very
unlikely that a conservation treatment lab will ever be able to justify
the ability to produce its own ultrapure water.

James Druzik <jdruzik [at] getty__edu>

                 Distributed: Sunday, November 13, 1994