Subject: Copy stand for fragile books

Copy stand for fragile books

From: Curt Lang <clang>
Date: Monday, October 31, 1994
    **** Moderator's comments:
    This query comes from a person who is not on the DistList and
    will not see any responses that are posted here.  Please respond
    directly to sender.

A message from Exlibris was recently cross posted to Ficino discussing
the conversion of texts to photographic and digital form and of the
concern that the originals should also be kept.  In this note, mention
was made of a copy stand that required that a book only be opened to 45
degrees.  I would be interested in seeing a description of this copy
stand, as I have designed special-purpose copying systems and am
curious.  My main reason for this note is to offer a design I did
several years ago for a simple copy stand.  The design is intended to
minimize the angle to which a fragile book must be opened for copying
with a camera, and works at openings from 45 to 90 degrees.  The
advantage of the design lies in its simplicity and cheapness of
manufacture.

In order to make the design available to librarians and scholars I would
be willing to place it in the public domain or transfer rights to a
suitable organization.  Can you suggest the name of a person who could
evaluate the design? And, if the design is deemed useful, can you
suggest a way that it could be made available to those who would use it?

Regards,
Curt Lang

                Distributed: Thursday, November 10, 1994