Subject: Water purification

Water purification

From: Cindy Martin <vrclm>
Date: Tuesday, November 8, 1994
We are currently completing construction drawings for a new special
collections facility which will include a conservation lab.  We have not
had a lab in the past and do not have a conservator on staff at the
present. Therefore, for planning we have used some consultants and asked
various conservators for information.  We originally asked for both
distilled and de-ionized water for the lab, but have recently been
getting some flak from the architects about the cost.  I now find myself
in the position of arguing for and justifying either or both of the
different types of water.  However, I'm not sure I know enough about
when and how the different types are used to make a good case.  Can
someone help?  Our local water is particularly bad and most people here
install expensive reverse osmosis systems or purchase water for
drinking.  The architects have asked if reverse osmosis water will work,
but again I don't know enough to give a good answer.  I would appreciate
any suggestions.

Cindy Martin
Assistant Director
Southwest Collection
Texas Tech University
Lubbock, Texas  79409

                Distributed: Thursday, November 10, 1994