Subject: Remote storage

Remote storage

From: Regina Sinclair <sinclair>
Date: Friday, November 4, 1994
Does anyone of know of an authoritative (published) source of
information that addresses preservation issues relating to the
construction of storage facilities for books, i.e. what materials to
use, etc.?  We are transforming an existing structure into an off-site
shelving facility.  One question recently posed has to do with what kind
of sealer to use on a concrete floor.  (There will doubtless be other
concerns.)  I found the NFPA 232AM, Manual for Fire Protection for
Archives and Records Centers, as well as the _Preservation Planning
Program Resource Notebook_. 1987 and 1993 (rev.) helpful in regard to
general guidelines.  My input to administrators and architects who will
make final construction decisions needs to be a fully informed as
possible, however.  I need additional sources of information,
particularly if these exist in a comprehensive format.  Thank you for
any assistance you can lend.

Regina Sinclair
Head, Preservation Department
M.S.E. Library