Subject: Corrosion Intercept

Corrosion Intercept

From: Jim Druzik <jdruzik>
Date: Tuesday, November 1, 1994
Watch this topic evolve.

I have known of this product since it was first announced by AT&T four
years ago.  It works for reduced sulfur compounds (hydrogen sulfide and
carbonyl sulfide) as well as organic acids and I believe nitrogen
dioxide.  I've seen the exposure studies for H2S and it's very
impressive.  It should work better than any permeable enclosure material
with internal absorbents.  However, it is unclear what protection it
might offer for formaldehyde or acetaldehyde, if any.  Samples have been
sent to Jim Reilly at the IPI for evaluation and Shiner is hot in
getting more information.  Trouble is, it has not been extensively
examined by a conservation research lab, so people are fearful of
"taking the plunge".

Jim Druzik

                Distributed: Thursday, November 3, 1994