Subject: Permanent markers

Permanent markers

From: Gail Bailey <glbailey>
Date: Wednesday, October 26, 1994
Has anyone done any long-term durability testing on the *Sharpie*
Permanent Markers (ultra fine point) or on the *Pigma* Acid-Free
Fade-Proof Pens?  We have tried these but continue to go back to the pen
nib and waterproof India ink for labeling artifacts and papers.  Many
beginners have a difficult time adjusting to the nibs and so we are
looking for an inexpensive alternate as opposed to calligraphy pens.
The Pigma pens seem to smear, clog, or damage easily.  The Sharpies also
have their problems and I know that they rub off plastic or stone
surfaces.  If anyone has any info on these brands or knows of another
archival marking medium, please let me hear from you.

Gail Bailey
Processing Lab Director
Univ.of Texas at Austin
Texas Archeological Research Lab

                Distributed: Wednesday, October 26, 1994