Subject: Missing pages

Missing pages

From: Paula De Stefano <destefan>
Date: Wednesday, October 26, 1994
Mutilation of library books is becoming more and more widespread at
NYU's Bobst Library.  One full-time person and a part-time student in
the collection management division now devote most of their time to
processing books with missing pages for page replacement.  Typically,
the replacement pages are photocopied on acid-free paper and either
tipped into the monograph/serial, or bound in, depending on the number
of pages involved.  The "processing" involved to obtain replacement
pages is quite complicated and labor intensive, not unlike search and
review processing for microfilm candidates.

I've been asked to query this group for documentation, or descriptions
of processing for the replacement of missing pages (only for those
titles that require acid-free photocopying and either binding or tipping
in, not for microfilming purposes).  Other institutions that have
procedures they can share with me (and the time to share it!) should
kindly send information to me at the address below. Thank you.

Paula De Stefano
Head, Preservation Dept.
New York University
Bobst Library
70 Washington Square South
New York, NY 10012

                Distributed: Wednesday, October 26, 1994