Subject: Sound recording formats

Sound recording formats

From: Tricia B. Wilke <twilke>
Date: Monday, October 17, 1994
We have a new collection of local music of which we request two copies
of each item--one for public use, one for archival purposes.  Of the
items we only receive one copy of, we will make a public use copy onto
audio tape.  We usually receive two of the same type of media, but every
now and again we will receive one CD and one cassette, or other such
mixtures.  Our question is this:  is there some sort of hierarchy for
the retention of formats?  That is, should we use the cassette for
public use and the CD for archival purposes?  What about reel-to-reel,
vinyl, and videotapes?  Which medium is the best to keep for archival
purposes?  The collection is very small at this point, but we hope it
will become the archive for all types of "Milwaukee music."  Any help
would be much appreciated.

Tricia Wilke
Preservation Intern
Marquette University
Milwaukee, Wi

                Distributed: Wednesday, October 19, 1994