Subject: Marking CD-ROMs

Marking CD-ROMs

From: John A. Olson <j-olso>
Date: Wednesday, October 5, 1994
Our library, as well as every other library, are getting more and more
CD-Rom disks added to their collections. I would like to know from
anyone on how they, or if they, write any cataloging ID or call number
on the actual disk? There is discussion that writing anything on the
disk anywhere will make the disk unbalanced when used and that writing
with a permanent pen or marker might bleed into the disk over time. I'm
asking if it's acceptable to write with an archival marker or writing
instrument near the center hole of the disk? How is everyone handling
this? Any suggestions, comments or citations would be most welcome. Many
thanks in advance.

John A. Olson
Borchert Map Library, Univ. of Minn.
S-76 Wilson, 309 19th Ave. S.
Minneapolis, MN 55455

                Distributed: Wednesday, October 12, 1994