Subject: Microfilm storage boxes

Microfilm storage boxes

From: Charles Stewart <cstewart>
Date: Thursday, October 6, 1994
Hilary A. Kaplan <bm.gsk [at] rlg__stanford__edu> writes:

>We are interested in purchasing microfilm storage boxes that are both
>durable (for storage of reference film) and chemically stable (for
>storage of master negatives).

We have used three brands here, all heavy board with metal edges:

1. Hollinger
2. Conservation Resources
3. Metal Edge West

Hollinger was deemed not to be free of lignin by our conservation
department, years ago.  I don't know if this is still the case.

Conservation Resources boxes were adequate,  but the company was slow to
fill orders.  These boxes were said to be acid-free and lignin free, and
they were slightly buffered.  At the time, they also made a box with
neutral P.H. for the inner surfaces, which is thought to be better for
photographic film than alkaline material.  I don't know about their
current offerings, nor whether their service has improved.

Currently we are using Metal Edge West boxes, with which we are quite
satisfied.  The board is heavier than the Cons. Res. boxes, and the
response time in filling large orders has been good.  These boxes are
very rugged, said to be lignin-free, and they tested here as being just
slightly alkaline.  The company is in Los Angeles - 213 - 588-2228. We
use these for both master storage and service copies.

I have also seen a heavy box, comparable in construction to the Metal
Edge West box, and I think it was made by Gaylord, but don't quote me.
I know nothing of its chemical content.

In any case, it is very important to store film in durable boxes, since
damage to the box (by impact, in shipping or in use) can result in
damage to the reels and film.  All this assumes that you are referring
to individual microfilm boxes (ours are 35mm.) rather than boxes which
store many boxes of microfilm, although I believe all these companies
make those as well, constructed along similar lines.  Avoid collapsible
and unreinforced boxes.  Hope this is of some use to you.

                Distributed: Wednesday, October 12, 1994