Subject: Plastic grocery bags

Plastic grocery bags

From: Robert J. Milevski <milevski>
Date: Thursday, September 29, 1994
With regard to Erich's concern about our (biodegradable or not) plastic
bag recycling program.  I have not received any complaints from the
circulation staff regarding weak or breaking or disintegrating bags.
Nor have I seen any evidence of decomposition in the box in our office
which houses these bags until they are retrieved.  Evidence such as the
pile imploding.  Even with the bags I have at home, which have been
saved for months and months after shopping, I have never seen them
biodegrade, darkness or no.  Maybe its Florida's climate that makes the
bags degrade so quickly, or that FL has a state law regarding the
composition of the bags which may be different from any similar laws in
New Jersey.  Who knows? (Rhetorical question.)  But I will post any news
as it occurs regarding this.

Robert Milevski
Preservation Librarian
Princeton University Libraries