Subject: Signage

Signage

From: Yolanda Warren <warren.y>
Date: Monday, September 12, 1994
In DistList Instance: 7:49 I wrote:

>Our library has been using posterboard for  the signs indicating call
>numbers on the shelves.  We have recently gotten more into color coding
>certain areas and have also used poster board for that...
>We are looking for some more permanent material.  It can be paper based
>or plastic based.  Since it needs to fit into a slotted holder, the
>material cannot be any thicker than about 3 mm.

I recently found a catalog that seemed to answer my question about the
fade-resistant colored board.  It is the Bainbridge Printed Catalog
published by Nielsen & Bainbridge.  In it is advertised a board called
Alphamat.  It reads: "Alphamat board has become an industry standard for
conservation framing, by meeting all of the Library of Congress
standards for paper preservation."  It is non-yellowing, fade and bleed
resistant and 100% non-acidic. For information about the nearest
distributor near you, call 800-631- 5414 (east coast) or 800-321-2934
(west coast).

We bought it and were pleased with it.  Of course it's too early to test
its fade resistance.

Sincerely,
Yolanda Warren

               Distributed: Wednesday, September 21, 1994