Subject: Future of conservation/preservation funding

Future of conservation/preservation funding

From: Peter Graham <psgraham>
Date: Thursday, September 15, 1994
Harry Campbell says, i.a.,

>The question is, will there be a place on the library shelves?
>If it happens that books continue to be published, collected, used, and
>preserved, where will the books be kept?

I simply don't know what straw man Mr C is pointing to, if I may mix the
metaphor.  I know of no one responsible in library preservation who is
speaking of anything other than the continuing need to provide for
books, more books, print and more print, for the indefinite future.
HC's beginning paragraph in which he speaks of his "resentment" of the
"fast track" is at the heart of his complaint.  I sympathize, but I
suggest that people in his position need to be a bit more philosophic
about change and its speed and realize that the responsible action is
not simply to complain (inaccurately) but either assist change to work
out well, or let those do so who are willing to work with it.  Whinging
is a damaging contribution; which is not to say that specific pointing
out of problems is not valuable.  --pg

Peter Graham
Rutgers University Libraries
169 College Ave.,
New Brunswick, NJ 08903
908-445-5908;
Fax: 908-445-5888

               Distributed: Wednesday, September 21, 1994