Subject: New version of LC's rare book box manual

New version of LC's rare book box manual

From: Merrily Smith <nppo>
Date: Friday, September 2, 1994
Robert Milevski wrote:
>While cataloging a copy of the revised edition of "Boxes for the
>Protection of Rare Books: Their Design and Construction" for our in-lab
>reference collection, I noticed the usual claimer on the verso of the
>title page about the paper in the publication conforming to ANSI Z
>39.48--1984.  Well, for no apparent reason that I can recall, I whipped
>out my Abbey pH Pen and tested the paper in several parts of the
>publication.  I found out that the paper is acidic.

Oops, that one slipped by us.  Thanks for calling it to our attention.
The Library's Publications Office is working with GPO to solve the
problem, and the book will most likely by reprinted.  We'll share
details as soon as they are available.

Merrily
National Preservation Program Office
Library of Congress (LMG07)