Subject: Long-term book storage

Long-term book storage

From: Becky Ryder <rjryde01>
Date: Friday, September 2, 1994
I need some ideas about book storage for a professor who wants to store
his personal book collection in a "U-STOR-IT" storage facility for two
years.  There will be no environmental control in the facility.
Temperatures could be as high 120 degrees and as low as below zero. The
books will be packed boxes.  The boxes will be packed in wooden crates.
He wants to know what else he can to do preserve his books (I think the
correct phrase should be "destroy his books...").

He has some leather volumes (about 50), but mostly has "standard issue"
hardbacks such as encyclopedias and textbooks.

Can you think of any tips to give him beyond sensible packing tips? Any
desiccants?  Pest deterrents?  Material to individually wrap the books?
What about when he returns:  can you suggest a routine for unpacking?

This is a frustrating question since the best and most obvious thing to
do is to store them in a facility with some HVAC control.  Any
suggestions, even costly ones (which I suspect this fellow will
immediately dismiss) are welcome.  Thanks.

Becky Ryder
Preservation Librarian
University of Kentucky

                 Distributed: Sunday, September 4, 1994