Subject: Water-based polyurethanes

Water-based polyurethanes

From: Patricia Strong <patstrong>
Date: Thursday, September 1, 1994
Does any one have any experience with the water-based polyurethanes like
the Varathane Elite Diamond Finish "IPN" coating produced by Varathane,
or the "Safe and Simple" line produced by Tripp?  Both these companies
have come out with a line of colored coatings that they say will replace
the latex paint that we are all using on our walls.  Both companies say
that they developed the new finishes to curtail the nasty off gassing
problems associated with traditional paints and to create a much harder
and longer wearing paint than latex.

Hmm. The salesman has a great line but has it been tested by anyone who
isn't selling the stuff?

Varathane does not list its ingredients and on calling their info number
they resist because of fear of patent infringement. (like we all want to
mix up a batch at home!)

"Safe and Simple by Carver Tripp lists these ingredients,
    Dipropylene Glycol Methyl Ether CAS#34590-94-8
    2-Pyrrolidinone, 1-Methyl CAS#872-50-4
    Water CAS#7732-18-5
    Silicone Dioxide CAS#112945-52-5

V.O.C.'s for the Carver Tripp product are listed as less than 300g per
liter. Thanks,

Pat Strong
Texas Memorial Museum

                 Distributed: Sunday, September 4, 1994